Sunday, August 30, 2015

Inside my head

I write this sitting on a train speeding towards London after a lovely weekend back in Manchester with Ben!



It was Ben's birthday on Friday so I decided to give myself the weekend off and just enjoy being at home.  We hosted a barbecue yesterday afternoon/evening and a rather lovely time was had by all (I hope) although my attempt at having a break was not quite as successful!

It was nice not to be looking at my script for a couple of days but this play isn't something you can really have a day off from. The lines are constantly swirling round in my head!  I can't shut it off!  I kept trying to not think about it at the BBQ but people would be talking and I'd hear one word that would remind me of something in the play, or a sentence that one of the characters say or I'd find myself making a facial expression that I connect to a certain line.  Honestly it sometimes feels (and looks) like I'm going mad!  

What is good is that I am now in a place for all this to happen. For a word/sound/movement to connect me to something in the play means that I am getting to grips with the script. It goes deeper than my memory. It is getting "into me". That may sound like theatrical nonsense (which it kind of is!) but I don't really know a better way of describing it.  I'm not having to constantly try and think of the lines - I can just open my mouth as different characters and they know what to say. (Not all of them mind you - some still need to work a bit harder!)

So this is basically a very long winded way of saying I can't switch off but that its kind of good!

Now we have the blocking of the play (in all 3 different formats!!) and I am off book  we can start looking at scenes in more and more detail.  Basically we've wrapped the present in some plain wrapping paper but now it is time to start to add the glitter and bows!  Its the little extras that make the difference!

We have 5 days until our opening night (Eeeeergh!) so its going to be a pretty crazy week but we are on the right track.





No comments:

Post a Comment